The Vula Mathematics Project
The Vula Mathematics Project supports and develops Mathematics teachers and teaching in KwaZulu-Natal.
There are twelve educational districts in the province, and teachers from seven of these districts have attended training workshops organised by the project in the past ten years.
The project’s work is undertaken from its home base, a fully equipped Mathematics teaching space, in the Centre for Innovation at Hilton College.
The project’s major component is the Vula Mathematics Academy (VuMA), a term-long in-service training and development initiative for practising teachers from under-resourced schools. Teachers attending Vula Maths workshops and training are accommodated in the Vula Lodges on the Hilton College campus. Since 2014, more than 200 teachers have passed through VuMA.
The project also organises and offers several other training and enrichment activities, including:
- The Laptop Project for teachers from rural schools in the marginalised Pholela and Bergville districts,
- A Maths Club for talented mathematicians from schools in the greater Edendale valley,
- Two-week residential workshops for teachers of GET Mathematics (Grades 7, 8 and 9) during the third and fourth terms of the year, and
- School holiday residential workshops at Hilton College for teachers from rural districts further afield (such as King Cetshwayo and Umkhanyakude), and
- The provision of teaching materials and resources, and assistance with the purchase of white boards and the replacement of laptop computers.
Vula Science Project
With the availability of additional on-campus accommodation (in the Vula Lodges), provision will also be made for small groups of Science teachers to spend periods of time at Hilton College, being exposed to a well-structured scientific teaching environment.
The Vula Intern Project
The Intern Project, a joint Hilton College and Vula Programme project, allows for a group of aspiring teachers-in-training to spend a year “in-service”, while studying towards the completion of their education studies.