THE VULA MATHEMATICS PROJECT
The Vula Mathematics Project supports and develops Mathematics teachers and teaching in KwaZulu-Natal.
The majority of this work is undertaken in the Umgungundlovu educational district. As and when time and schedules allow, work is also done with teachers and learners from other districts, especially from the marginalised rural areas which are far removed from the main urban centres.
The project’s home base is a fully equipped teaching space in the Centre for Innovation at Hilton College.
The project’s main activity at present is the Vula Mathematics Academy, a term-long in-service training and development initiative for practising teachers. Teachers attending the academy are accommodated in the Vula Lodge on the Hilton College campus.
The project also provides and organises a number of other training and enrichment activities, including:
- The Laptop Project for teachers from rural schools in the Pholela and Bergville districts.
- The annual Grade 11 Mathematics Olympiad for the top Maths learners from up to 25 schools in the Bergville district. Prizes for the Olympiad winners are sponsored by Casio and The Answer Series.
- Maths camps at Hilton College for the top Grade 11 and Grade 12 learners as identified in the Bergville Olympiad. These camps include time spent interacting with Hilton boys while attending lessons at the college.
- Two-week residential training workshops for teachers during the third term of the year.
- School holiday residential workshops at Hilton College for teachers from districts such as King Cetshwayo.